Monday, October 18, 2021

Halloween Costume Time!!!! Part 1 - Helmets

So, I pretend I'm a great customer maker. Like a cosplay level costume maker. I know I'm not.  HOWEVER I feel I'm close and getting better every year!

This year I talked my guys (my son Jake and his friend Liam) into being The Mandalorian (Din Djarin) and Boba Fett. I of course will be Cara Dune. And Liam's sister Missy into being Fennec Shand! It works because Missy's dad loves that character. Long story short, I told them I would make the costumes. This is a HUGE effort, but completely Awesome!

We started off by researching helmet patterns and how to do this thing. We found some excellent resources and got started!

This is Boba Fetts helmet in pieces. 
This is EVA 10mm compact craft foam. 
EVA foam Cutting tutorial - this lady is soooooo funny and super talented, so is her husband!  Enjoy!

This took a lot of work to cut! Follow that tutorial if you don't have a bandsaw, and you can do it.  Be patient, have fun!

So, after going to the hardware store for supplies, and lots of dremmel to smooth the edges, I put the helmet together

half way there

Right side done!

ALL together now!!

The best part of this is I get to do it all over again with Mando's helmet!!

So after sanding with a Dremel and adding the extra parts and stuff, we have this

AND after sealing and priming...
And repeating the whole thing, we get Mandos helmet
I actually totally forgot to seal this before priming and you can see the caulk filler difference. So I sealed it it as is and primed it again. MUCH BETTER.

So, next step is painting. We just bought an air brush. Let's hope I can figure that out!!

No comments: