Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I don Like En La Das!

Last night I made one of my favorite dishes.  Sorta.  I've had an EASY and YUMMY enchilada recipe I've been using for years!  It's adapted from a skillet enchiladas recipe, that's not really enchiladas, but yummy all the same.  Okay, so I just did the sauce idea from the skillet enchiladas.  What the heck, I'll include both recipes.

Back to what I was going to post in the first place.

I decided to make my life easier last nice, and make a healthier version of enchiladas than usual.  I usually do the flash fry of the corn tortillas thing to make sure the tortillas roll instead of tear, which of course makes the dish yummy, but greasy.  Instead of rolling, I stacked.  So, essentially, I made Enchilada Lasagna.  Or as I'm going to call it Enchilada Casserole!  I served up a nice chilled (since he doesn't like hot food) plate for Jake, which included rice, his favorite thing to eat other than cookies or fruit snacks.  So, I ask him to take a bite.  He says OK and picks up a piece with a fork, and put it to his mouth, made a FUNNY FACE and said "I don Like En La Das!".  Oh well.  Maybe Next time.

Here's my take on Enchilada Casserole that Jake did not like.

Enchilada Casserole
1 small package corn tortillas (white or yellow, whichever you either have or like) I think there were about 20 in the package.  Used all but 2 of them.
2 cans MILD (for the boy which didn't matter anyway) Enchilada sauce
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
Shredded cheese - I used Fiesta blend
Green onions, chopped - Optional (can use white, but I like the green onions better)
Cilantro - Optional (neither one of my guys like it, but I LOVE IT so, I put it on part of it.

In a large bowl, mix the 2 cans of enchilada sauce and 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (do not add water or milk).  Place a thin layer of sauce in bottom of 9x13 baking dish.  Layer tortillas, then cover in sauce and part of the cheese.  Repeat layering until all tortillas are gone, then top with sauce and cheese and onions and cilantro.

You can also add a layer (or two) of ground beef or shredded chicken or even pulled pork if you want!

Bake at 400 until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly!  Serve with Rice and Beans or a small salad with sour cream  YUMMY!
Yummy Cheesy Layers instead of individual wrapped Enchiladas
Tasted the same! Easier to make!  


The Skillet Enchiladas are so easy too!

1 lb ground beef
1 small finely chopped onion
2 cans MILD Enchilada sauce
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups crushed tortilla chips (thick makes it really taste like enchiladas)
Shredded cheese - I used Fiesta blend
Green onions, chopped - Optional 
Cilantro - Optional 

In a large skillet, saute onions in a little olive oil.  Add Beef and cook.  In a large bowl, mix the 2 cans of enchilada sauce and 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (do not add water or milk). Add sauce to skillet, mix well and heat through.  Turn off heat, and gently add chips and mix.  top with Cheese, cover and let the cheese melt.  THAT'S IT!  YUMMY!  

I can't remember where I got this one, I think it was in a ground beef cook booklet I bought as an impulse at the grocery story when I was first married so I could learn to cook for two instead of "college food".

Happy Eating!




No comments: